I shoulda doubled the recipe as we finished the entire tray in one evening. Low-carb comfort food at its best. Hope you all agree.
Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 shallots chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- pinch garlic salt
- pinch dried oregano
- 3-4 zucchinis, sliced into disks (I use a mandoline slicer)
- ⅓ cup full fat ricotta
- 8 oz (2 cups) grated colby jack cheese
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- butter to grease the pan
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat up olive oil and butter in non-stick fry pan at medium-high heat. Throw in shallots and cook 3-5 minutes until they start to caramelize. Add in red pepper and the pinch of garlic salt and oregano. Cook a few more minutes until shallots are caramelized and the red peppers are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Grease a 9 x 12 pan with butter. Place zucchini disks, one layer at a time, spreading them apart fairly evenly like you would do with scalloped potatoes. Salt and Pepper each new layer of zucchini. On the first layer of zucchini, spread out the ricotta cheese. On the second layer, sprinkle a handful of the grated cheese. On the third layer, evenly pour the whipping cream, and on the fourth layer spread out the shallot and pepper mixture. Top with remainder of grated cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the top is slight browned and bubbly.