This wonderful summer squash dish is deceptively simple but overwhelming in flavor. I have made it four times the past four days, and I’m obsessed. If you’re not in the mood to share, I recommend doubling the recipe, or even stacking two layers of zucchini and squash, making sure to season each layer with salt, pepper, and thyme leaves, and drizzling with olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 leeks, white and palest green parts only, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 5-7 basil leaves, chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced into disks
- 2 yellow squash, sliced into disks
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan on medium high heat. Sauté leeks and basil until soft, being careful not to burn, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and pour into a 9×12 baking dish, spreading evenly. Place zucchini and squash disks into baking dish in a scalloped pattern, overlapping and alternating colors per row. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with thyme leaves. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until zucchini and squash look softened and shrunk and have browned on the edges.