You asked for more Instant Pot recipes, and I heard you, Boo. The recipe for Red Curry Short Ribs has zero added sugar, mostly because the curry paste I use from Thai Kitchen has no sugar. You don’t need all that sugar, I promise.
A coupla notes:
- You can replace the short ribs with any meat you prefer.
- Consider making this dish with Green Curry Paste if you prefer.
- Keep your can of full fat coconut cream/milk in the fridge for a few hours before starting this dish, then when you open the can, poke a hole in the center of the cream and drain the coconut water out.
- If you wanna make this in a slow cooker, by all means, do. Follow all the directions by browning the meat and sautéing the sauce ingredients in a large pan on the stove top, then transfer to a slow cooker to cook on high for three hours. Remove the meat from the slow cooker, and pour the sauce back into your large sauté pan to cook the veggies as instructed below. Then mix the veg and meat altogether and serve. Cooking the veggies at the end of the process keeps them from turning to mush in the slow cooker.
Want more Eat Happy inspiration? Make sure you sign up for the 31 Days of Meals plan and free recipe sampler here!
Red Curry Short Ribs in The Instant Pot
- 2-3 lbs. boneless short ribs, cut into 1-2” chunks
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 4 tablespoons sugar free red curry paste, divided
- 1 13.5-ounce can full fat coconut cream/milk, water separated and discarded
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or coconut aminos, divided
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1" chunks
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup chopped green beans, chopped into 1” pieces
- 1/4 cup basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Place Instant Pot on sauté setting, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium high heat until shimmering. Brown the short rib pieces, remove from pot. You may need to do this in batches depending on how many short ribs you have.
- Add 1 remaining tablespoon olive oil to Instant Pot. Sauté onions, ginger, and garlic until soft and aromatic, about 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons red curry paste, coconut cream, 1 teaspoon fish sauce, and 1 teaspoon soy sauce, whisk to blend. Add back in short rib pieces, stirring to coat with red curry sauce.
- Cover with Instant Pot lid and lock, placing vent to “Sealing” setting. Cook on manual for 20 minutes. After Manual cycle completes, wait until the pressure valve descends (about 30 minutes)and then you can open the lid and remove the short ribs, leaving the liquid in the Instant Pot.
- Turn instant pot back to sauté setting. Add remaining red curry paste, teaspoon fish sauce, and teaspoon soy sauce; whisk together. Add in eggplant, bell pepper, and green beans, let sauté for 10-15 minutes, stirring veggies every few minutes. The red curry sauce will reduce until creamy. Add in basil, sautéing 1-2 more minutes. Put short ribs back into red curry vegetable mixture, tossing until mixed and serve, garnished with additional chopped basil.