Want more Eat Happy inspiration? Make sure you sign up for the 31 Days of Meals plan and free recipe sampler here!
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus more to grease 9x12 pan
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or 2 cloves, minced)
- 2 lbs. frozen spinach, thawed and thoroughly dried (this step is essential)
- 1 6 oz bag fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt, plus more for extra seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 1/2 cup almond meal/almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat butter on medium high heat in a wide, flat sautee pan and cook onions until soft, about 7-9 minutes. Add garlic, cook an additional 2 mins.
- Whisk in cream and half and half, nutmeg, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper, bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes, whisking every few minutes to make sure there is no sticking.
- Fold in the chopped fresh, cook 2-3 minutes until wilted. Add in one more dash of salt and pepper. Fold in the frozen spinach, cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat, fold in 2 cups of the grated gruyere until melted.
- Pour mixture into a well-greased 9x12 baking pan. Mix together the topping ingredients in a small bowl, evenly top the spinach with the topping. Bake 20-30 minutes or until browned on top and bubbling.