Thanksgiving is imminent. Are you ready?
I am having fun coming up with low carb versions of Thanksgiving classics in case you’d like to enjoy your big day without overboard on the sugars and grains. Or maybe you’re the kind of person who can exercise restraint on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and you’re looking to make an entirely low carb Thanksgiving. I am here to help.
This Green Bean Casserole is delicious because it has fresh ingredients. I’ll take this any day over processed cream of mushroom soup and gluten-laden fried onion bits. Also, this recipe has a tablespoon of vodka in it, what’s not to love about that?
Want more Eat Happy inspiration? Make sure you sign up for the 31 Days of Meals plan and free recipe sampler here!
Wild Mushroom and Green Bean Casserole
- 1 pound green beans, ends snapped and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 ounce dried wild mushrooms, reconstituted, then chopped
- 1 package cremini or baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Vodka, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for sautéeing
- 3-4 large shallots, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 cup olive oil, for frying
- -Reconstitute dried wild mushrooms in 2 cups boiling water, bring to boil 3-4 minutes, cover, turn off heat and let stand 30 minutes. Remove wild mushrooms, reserving mushroom broth.
- -Saute onions on medium high heat in large saute pan until soft (3-5 minutes). Add in chopped cremini mushrooms and onion and garlic powder until browned (5-8 minutes). Add the wild mushrooms to the saute pan, saute 5-8 minutes. Pour in vodka , cook 2-3 minutes, until alcohol burns off, add pepper.
- -Ladle 2 scoops of mushroom broth (being careful to avoid the settled grit at the bottom of the reserved mushroom broth), stir into sautee pan.
- -Ladle 3 scoops chicken broth. Bring to boil for 3 minutes. Add in 1/2 cup heavy cream, simmer another 3 minutes. Turn off heat, mix in green beans, season one more time with salt and pepper.
- -Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes uncovered. Stir the contents, foil the top, bake another 25 mins. Remove from oven, add fried shallot rings to the top, refoil and cook 5 more minutes.
- Fried Shallots
- Slice shallots into 1/4 inch pieces and separate. Heat 1/2 inch EVOO in pan to high heat. Fry shallots 3-4 minutes, being careful not to burn. Remove shallots from oil, let drain on paper towel. Season with salt.