These Low Carb Eggplant Marinara Bites are the ultimate bite-sized savory starter, but this recipe makes them cute and delicious. These little bites fry up so savory and delicious, and are very easy to make. The addition of Eat Happy Kitchen marinara saves you time and steps so you can get to eating these faster.
If you want more recipes to use up those jars of marinara, then click here for a round-up of red sauce inspiration.
If you’ve recently started NSNG, low carb, paleo, or keto, you will not be able to partake in restaurant Eggplant Parm or Chicken Parm, so I highly recommend taking matters into your own hands and making these recipes yourself. You’ll be shocked how easily you can whip up restaurant quality food at home. Use a cast iron skillet or a non stick sauté pan.
Feel free to melt some fresh mozzarella, asiago, or fontina cheese on these puppies, if you’re so inspired. For the folks like me keeping it dairy free, the parmesan at the end of the recipe is optional. You can use coconut cream in place of heavy cream in the egg wash. If you need to avoid almonds for any reason, then substitute crushed pork rinds for the almond flour.
Want more Eat Happy inspiration? Make sure you sign up for the 31 Days of Meals plan and free recipe sampler here!
Eggplant Marinara Bites
- 1-2 pounds baby/mini eggplants or thin Japanese eggplants, sliced into 1/4” disks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (or use coconut cream for dairy free)
- 1 cup almond flour (or use plain crushed pork rinds for nut free)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus more if needed for frying
- 1 jar Eat Happy Kitchen Tomato Basil Marinara, heated
- Small basil leaves, for garnish
- Freshly grated parmesan, for garnish (optional)
- Place eggplant slices on a paper towel lined baking tray. Season with salt and pepper on both sides of slices. Let eggplant “sweat” for 10 minutes, meaning the salt will draw some beads of water out of the eggplant. Dab the eggplant dry before the next step.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together egg and heavy cream until mixed and pale yellow. In a second mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, and dried basil.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick sauté pan until hot and shimmering. Do the sizzle test: sprinkle a bit of the almond flour mix into the hot oil, and if it sizzles, the oil is hot enough for frying.
- Dredge eggplant slices in egg/cream mixture, then roll into almond flour to coat. Place eggplant slices in oil, starting at the twelve o’clock position, and place clockwise in pan. Let cook 2-3 minutes per side, until browned, then gently flip eggplant slices, starting at the twelve o’clock position and working your way around the pan clockwise and cook other side 2-3 minutes until brown, being careful not to burn. Remove slices from pan to drain on a paper towel lined plate. Fry a second batch of remaining slices, adding additional olive oil to pan if needed.
- Prepare bites: place eggplant slices on platter. Dollop a teaspoon of Eat Happy Kitchen Marinara on each bite, flattening a bit with spoon. Garnish each bite with a basil leaf and freshly grated parmesan. Serve.