My favorite spring roll is the Vietnamese rice paper-wrapped Cha Gio, and I’ve been watching folks in my Eat Happy Facebook group post pictures of their delicious, low carb, NSNG versions of deconstructed egg rolls called Egg Roll In A Bowl. So I decided to marry the two and make a Vietnamese Spring Roll In A Bowl. This recipe is fresh and light, but also deeply umami and satisfying. This dichotomy is why I love Vietnamese food so much, but I often have to adapt recipes to make at home to eliminate the sugars and grains. Eat Happy Too has a killer Pho soup recipe that is perfect comfort food, in case you’re into that sort of thing (and who isn’t these days).
Feel free to sub ground beef or pork for the chicken. If you do, you can just brown the ground meat in the pan with the flavors you use in the Instant Pot portion of the recipe below.
You can use any kind of cabbage you have on hand, but Napa cabbage has just the right ratio of softness to crunchy–and it softens quickly when cooking, so be careful not to over cook.
You are welcome to add more ginger, lemongrass, or coconut aminos to taste.
If you are garnishing with Sriracha (aka Vietnamese ketchup), please know that it has added sugar, and do not overdo it. You are welcome to use Frank’s Hot Sauce (no sugar added), hot mustard, chili garlic sauce (with the rooster on it), or no hot sauce at all.
This recipe uses the Instant Pot to prep the perfect shredded chicken. You can also use a slow cooker on high for 3 hours.
It’s not a bad idea to prep several portions of the chicken in advance to have on hand for batch cooking
Vietnamese Spring Roll In A Bowl
- Instant Pot
- Large, Flat-bottomed sauté pan
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons coconut aminos, divided
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemongrass paste (available in refrigerated produce aisle)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground dried ginger
- 4 cups grated Napa cabbage or green cabbage (about 1 head of cabbage, shredded)
- 1 cup finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Cilantro chopped for garnish
- Sriracha for garnish optional
- Season chicken thighs well with salt and pepper. Place chicken thighs in Instant Pot and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of coconut aminos and water. Close and lock lid, set Vent to Sealing. Run Instant Pot on Manual setting for 20 minutes, letting Instant Pot run entire cycle and depressurize naturally. When metal float valve descends, it is safe to open the lid and remove the chicken. Shred chicken finely using two forks, set aside.
- In a large flat-bottomed nonstick sauté pan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil to medium high heat until hot and shimmering. Add onion slices and let soften, about 2-3 minutes. Drop in lemongrass paste, minced garlic, and ginger, tossing with onions 1-2 minutes until fragrant and soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add grated cabbage and chopped mushrooms, tossing to coat with onion mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons coconut aminos and fish sauce over vegetables. Cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes, tossing every other minute or so. Toss in shredded chicken and mix. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper only if needed. Serve with additional coconut aminos and garnished with cilantro, and Sriracha.