There are a lot of new folks coming around asking for advice on how to go No Sugar No Grains. I am here to help, my friends. I have been on this journey for many years now, and I’m beyond thrilled with the results. Over at The Fitness Confidential Podcast, we will be unrolling a lot of NSNG 101 podcasts to help get folks starting on what we hope will be a permanent lifestyle change in the way we all eat.
This creamed spinach dish is safe from all sugar and grains, in particular the pesky breadcrumb. One caveat with spinach, make sure you fully thaw the frozen spinach and squeeze the water out of it completely. If you don’t, you will have a watery, runny (albeit delicious) creamed spinach. This recipe yields enough for 8-10 servings, so it’s perfect for any holiday dinner or Sunday brunch. Make it, eat it guilt free, and celebrate your new beginnings.
- 3 Tablespoons butter, plus more to grease 9x12 pan
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 lbs. Frozen spinach, thawed and thoroughly dried (this step is essential)
- 1 6oz bag fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt, plus more for extra seasoning
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 cups grated gruyere cheese
- ½ cup grated gruyere cheese
- ½ cup almond meal/almond flour
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat butter on medium high heat in a wide, flat sautee pan and cook onions until soft, about 7-9 minutes. Add garlic, cook an additional 2 mins.
- Whisk in cream and half and half, nutmeg, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper, bring to boil then reduce to simmer for 10 minutes, whisking every few minutes to make sure there is no sticking.
- Fold in the chopped fresh, cook 2-3 minutes until wilted. Add in one more dash of salt and pepper. Fold in the frozen spinach, cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat, fold in 2 cups of the grated gruyere until melted.
- Pour mixture into a well-greased 9x12 baking pan. Mix together the topping ingredients in a small bowl, evenly top the spinach with the topping. Bake 20-30 minutes or until browned on top and bubbling.