It’s hot outside. Damn hot. If you wanna keep the house cool, don’t even bother turning on the stove or the oven. Crank up the grill or the slow cooker. Today is a slow cooker kind of day.
I am obsessed with short ribs. They are tender and flavorful. They go with any kind of sauce you can dream up, usually perfected after hours and hours of braising.
A lot of short rib recipes call for sugar, honey, molasses, etc., and the only sugar in this recipe is what comes in the ketchup. I suggest using organic ketchup so that you avoid high-fructose corn syrup in the ketchup’s ingredients.
This is tangy, melt-in-your-mouth, low carb short rib goodness.
Crock Pot Short Ribs
- 2-4 lbs boneless beef short ribs, trimmed of excess fat
- Salt & Pepper to season ribs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp minced garlic (or 2 garlic cloves, minced)
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped (ok to use 1 tsp dried oregano)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tsp GF soy sauce or tamari
- Pinch smoky hawaiian black salt (found in specialty markets, sea salt is great, too)
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Place ribs in crock pot.
- In a bowl, whisk remaining ingredients into a sauce. Pour over ribs and dredge ribs in the sauce. Cook on high in covered crock pot for 3 hours or until ribs are fall-apart tender. Remove thyme sprigs before serving.