This Halloween, the kids are gonna have plenty of junkcandysugarchocolateworms, so why add to the insanity? Let’s make a wholesome treat at home with very little added sugar that you can have fun making with the kidlins. Freshly toasting the coconut flakes and pecan pieces makes a world of taste difference.
Prep note: the lemon juice is to keep the apple slices from browning. Use a scant amount to coat the apple slices, but you will not be able to taste the lemon juice in the final product. You will only be able to taste joy.
Chocolate Dipped Apple Slices
- 6 ounces dark chocolate (I use 85% cacao or higher)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted and chopped finely
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan pieces, toasted
- 3 red delicious, gala, honey crisp, or granny smith apples
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- On medium high heat in a small nonstick sauté pan, toast coconut flakes, being careful not to burn, about 3-5 minutes, tossing frequently. Remove from heat into a shallow bowl and repeat with pecan pieces.
- Break chocolate into smaller pieces and put in a ceramic bowl. In a microwave, melt chocolate on high heat for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir chocolate until any remaining pieces are melted.
- Prepare apples by coring them and neatly cutting into even slices. Place apple slices into a plastic baggie and squeeze lemon juice over them. Swish apple slices around in baggie to coat with lemon juice. This is to prevent the apple slices from browning.
- Dip apple slices into melted chocolate, then dredge in toasted coconut flakes and/or pecan pieces as desired. Lay on foil lined baking sheet, refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until chocolate hardens, then serve (but keep refrigerated until served).