This Halloween, the kids are gonna have plenty of junkcandysugarchocolateworms, so why add to the insanity? Let’s make a wholesome treat at home with very little added sugar that you can have fun making with the kidlins. Freshly toasting the coconut flakes and pecan pieces makes a world of taste difference.
Prep note: the lemon juice is to keep the apple slices from browning. Use a scant amount to coat the apple slices, but you will not be able to taste the lemon juice in the final product. You will only be able to taste joy.
- 6 ounces dark chocolate, 85% cacao
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted and chopped finely
- 1/2 cup chopped pecan pieces, toasted
- 3 red delicious, gala, honey crisp, or granny smith apples
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- On medium high heat in a small nonstick sauté pan, toast coconut flakes, being careful not to burn, about 3-5 minutes, tossing frequently. Remove from heat into a shallow bowl and repeat with pecan pieces.
- Break chocolate into smaller pieces and put in a ceramic bowl. In a microwave, melt chocolate on high heat for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir chocolate until any remaining pieces are melted.
- Prepare apples by coring them and neatly cutting into even slices. Place apple slices into a plastic baggie and squeeze lemon juice over them. Swish apple slices around in baggie to coat with lemon juice. This is to prevent the apple slices from browning.
- Dip apple slices into melted chocolate, then dredge in toasted coconut flakes and/or pecan pieces as desired. Lay on foil lined baking sheet, refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until chocolate hardens, then serve (but keep refrigerated until served).