I’ve been making a version of this soufflé since the year 2000. That’s almost two entire decades of gluten free, grain free goodness. This is such an easy recipe to make, you will wonder why the heck I didn’t share it with y’all earlier. Well, my bad, lovelies. I just had to create an even lower carb version that still tastes like heaven. This is the richest, cakiest dark chocolate soufflé you could ever ask for–these puppies sure beat the pants offa those nasty “mug cakes.” I highly recommend serving with whipped cream, or the Strawberry “Ice Cream” from Eat Happy. Oh boy, I’m drooling right now just thinking about it.
Also, if you can’t find coconut nectar at your local grocery store, you can use honey. Remember, we’re keeping this as low carb as possible, so these treats are rich without being overly sweet. If you need more sweet add more to your liking.
Want more Eat Happy inspiration? Make sure you sign up for the 31 Days of Meals plan and free recipe sampler here!
Dark Chocolate Soufflés
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing ramekins
- 7 ounces 85% cacao chocolate
- 1/3 cup coconut nectar or raw honey
- 4 eggs, separated into four yolks and two whites (discard two remaining egg whites)
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped for garnish
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, for whipped garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan on low heat, melt the butter and chocolate, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together coconut nectar and the four egg yolks. Whisk in melted chocolate butter mixture.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk two egg whites with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture until folded in evenly.
- Grease 4 small ramekins with butter, place them on a foil lined baking sheet. Pour batter evenly into the ramekins. Bake in oven 25-30 minutes, remove and let cool 5-10 minutes.
- In a small metal bowl, whip the heavy cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Garnish chocolate soufflé with a dollop of whipped cream and serve immediately.