I’m adding this Whiskey Cheese as the starter because it’s delicious, warm comfort food with a whiskey nuance that makes you feel for a hot second that you’re eating something fancy-ish at a pub in Ireland. I like to serve these with cut veggies or the Rosemary Thyme Pita Chips from Eat Happy Too. Use whatever whiskey you’d like (but save the Red Breast for drinking).
***Note: Don’t think for one moment that this Whiskey Cheese is not a homemade low carb, NSNG, keto version of Jax & Brittney’s prophesied MaMaw’s Beer Cheese because it very much is. I’ll tackle a low carb Pumptini one day, if you ask me nicely…
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, brought to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, brought to room temperature
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon diced jalapeño, plus extra for garnish
- 2-3 tablespoons whiskey, to taste
- Stove Top instructions:
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick sauce pan brought to medium high heat until shimmering. Cook diced onion until soft. Add onion powder, garlic powder, and salt until aromatic and onion starts to brown. Turn heat to medium and add shredded cheddar, cream cheese, and milk and melt, stirring often so cheese does not harden or burn. Fold in diced jalapeño. Stir in whiskey, 1 tablespoon at a time, to taste. Garnish with additional chopped jalapeño. Serve immediately with cut veggies or Rosemary Thyme Pita chips from Eat Happy Too.
- Slow Cooker Instructions:
- If you have a mini slow cooker, soften the onions in the stove top per instructions above, then pour onions and remaining ingredients and cook on low in the slow cooker 1 hour until melted. Stir thoroughly and garnish with additional chopped jalapeño before serving.
- This recipe may not be reprinted or reposted in its entirety without permission from the author.