Since cauliflower has become the perfect substitute where we would have previously used rice or potatoes, let’s take this all the way and make my favorite childhood comfort food: the tot.
Cauliflower tots are a savory low carb indulgence, made mostly of vegetables, but with that perfect crisp exterior and perfect soft interior. If I were fancy, I’d call them Cauliflower Croquettes. But I am not fancy. No, I am not.
Make these tots dairy free if you substitute vegan cheese. You can also omit the egg if you need to as they hold together fine without one. To “pre-rice” the cauliflower, simply grate it on a box grater or in a food processor until the consistency of rice, or purchase bags of pre cut cauliflower.
Want more Eat Happy inspiration? Make sure you sign up for the 31 Days of Meals plan and free recipe sampler here!
Tots on their way to the oven…
- 4 cups pre-riced cauliflower (equivalent of about 2 heads of cauliflower)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for baking sheet
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced red pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalepeno
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 egg
- Steam pre-riced cauliflower for 10 minutes in a stove top steamer insert, or microwave in a bag for 4 minutes. Pour onto a clean, dry towel, and press any and all excess water out. Press one more time for good measure while allowing cauliflower to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with non-stick foil drizzled with olive oil. In a large bowl, mix the cooled cauliflower, onion, red peper, jalepeno, cilantro, almond flour, cheese, salt and pepper until evenly blended. Add egg and mix thoroughly.
- Form into tot shaped balls and lay on baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart. Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, gently flip the tots, and continue baking for 20 more minutes until crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately.