In the interest of keeping the kitchen cool, I’m still on the salad track, and slaw is the ultimate summer salad. This slaw is colorful and delicious, just like me.
Want more Eat Happy inspiration? Make sure you sign up for the 31 Days of Meals plan and free recipe sampler here!
Red Cabbage and Kale Slaw
- 2 cups kale, rough stems cut away and discarded
- 1 red cabbage, de-stemmed, quartered, then shredded on the largest grate of a box grater (yields about 2-3 cups)
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1/2 cup dried sugar free cranberries, currants, cherries, or raisins (optional)
- Lay kale leaves on a flat surface, sparsely drizzle with olive oil, then massage the kale leaves for one minute. Chop the kale leaves finely. In a large bowl, mix prepared kale and red cabbage. In smaller bowl, whisk together a dressing of shallot, apple cider vinegar, champagne vinegar, mayonnaise, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add dressing to kale and cabbage mixture, tossing to coat evenly. Add in dried fruit pieces if desired, toss. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.