Store bought dressings are crap. Absolute dog shit. And 1000 Island Dressing is no exception. Look on the ingredient label and find all kinds of surprises…high fructose corn syrup and polysorbate 80. WTF is polysorbate 80, anyway? I don’t want to eat that!
So then you go down the rabbit hole of trying to make your own homemade version, and you see that most of the components of 1000 Island Dressing ALSO contain crap! I implore you to seek out organic ketchup, mayo that’s free from corn syrup, and pickles free from preservatives. Condiments, dressings, and sauces make our food delicious. But it’s not worth all the fake-food ingredients, I’m telling you.
This Thousand Island Dressing sprang forth for a desire to make Turkey Ruben Roll Ups. Don’t ever miss your favorite sandwich again just because you are cutting out sugars and grains. Make Turkey Ruben Roll Ups, slather on the Homemade Thousand Island Dressing, eat, repeat.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise or Veganaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 dill pickle spear, cut into chunks
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Put all ingredients into a food processor, blender, or Vitamix and pulse until desired level of creaminess.
- Homemade Thousand Island Dressing
- Sliced deli turkey
- Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 325 degrees. Lay two slices of turkey flat on toaster oven tray or baking sheet. Pour one thin layer of thousand island. Cover with a layer of sauerkraut, then a slice of cheese, keeping everything level. Pop into toaster oven or regular oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Cover with one final layer of thousand island, roll up, and serve.