I’ve created a new Instant Pot recipe below. More Instant Pot recipes will follow soon in the future…
My pet peeve is dry pork chops, and for this very reason, many of my previous recipes use thicker pork chops to ensure a juicy chop. But the Instant Pot pressure cooker, used at the proper setting and timing, ensures some pretty tender thinner pork chops, which have a tendency to overcook. In fact, they may be so tender, the bone falls off the meat and into the onion/apple mixture. Be careful to remove those stray bones before serving!
This recipe is sugar free for a reason. You don’t need it! Enjoy the sweetness of the apples complimenting the onions and pork without having to slather on a sugary glaze.
Want more Eat Happy inspiration? Make sure you sign up for the 31 Days of Meals plan and free recipe sampler here!
Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Apples
- 4 bone-in 1/2” thick pork chops
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow, brown, or sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Season pork chops with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté setting, add olive oil and sauté onions in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, toss, and cook one more minute. Add apple slices and cinnamon, toss and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, season with salt and pepper, stir, and let sauté one more minute.
- Add in pork chops, put on lid, and turn to Manual setting (on high pressure) for 3 minutes. Make sure valve seal on lid is in the “Sealed” position. After Manual cycle completes 3 minutes, let cook for 8 minutes, then flip the valve seal on the lis is flipped to “Release” to release remaining pressure. This will prevent the pork chops from overcooking. Chops should be done through, or insert a meat thermometer to make sure it’s 145-160 degrees. Serve immediately, topped with onion and apple mixture.
- If cooking in slow cooker:
- Heat up oil in sauté pan to medium high, sauté onions in olive oil until soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic, toss, and cook one more minute. Add apple slices and cinnamon, toss and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, season with salt and pepper, stir, and let sauté one more minute.
- Pour entire mixture into slow cooker and add in pork chops. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours. Serve topped with onion and apple mixture.