When is a side dish also a main course/entrée? When you combine leafy greens and delicious sausage into a savory one-pot meal. Make this recipe for Chard and Chorizo as-is and you will have a side dish that is a perfect complement to Carne Asada, Super Guac, Machaca, and Carnitas. Add some cheese (or dairy free cheese or nuts and nutritional yeast), avocado slices and or sour cream, and you have a full meal.
Want more Eat Happy inspiration? Make sure you sign up for the 31 Days of Meals plan and free recipe sampler here!
Chard and Chorizo
- 1 pound uncooked chorizo any casing discarded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 pound Swiss or rainbow chard washed and loosely chopped
- 4 ounce can fire roasted chilis
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Brown chorizo on medium heat In a large, flat-bottomed nonstick sauté pan until cooked through. Set cooked chorizo aside on a plate, reserving fat in pan.
- Add olive oil to pan until hot and shimmering. Cook onion until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add chard, cook 3-4 minutes until starting to soften. Add fire roasted chilis and toss.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cumin, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle over chard mixture and toss until well seasoned. Add cooked chorizo and toss. Turn down heat to medium-low and let simmer until chard has completely softened. Serve immediately.