I have to be honest with y’all. I love these Loaded Burgers so much, I make them all summer long. The hubs and I eat every last bite of the burgers and each topping in one sitting, so you may want to double the recipe if you have more than two people to cook for.
Moreover, this recipe has a lot of components to prepare all at once, but the prep is well worth it. The burgers themselves cook quickly, so pre-cook the bacon and get started on the mushrooms and onions while the bacon cooks. Change it up with your toppings of choice (avocado, different cheeses, etc). But if you make these exactly toppings, you’re gonna love the combination. Feel free to add mayo and mustard at the end if you’re into that, but it doesn’t need it.
Want more Eat Happy inspiration? Make sure you sign up for the 31 Days of Meals plan and 4 Day recipe sampler here!
- 8 slices bacon, cooked, bacon grease reserved
- 1 pound ground beef, highest fat content possible
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup small cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 7-10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, white balsamic vinegar, or white wine vinegar
- Cheddar cheese slices
- Pickles for garnish
- Butter lettuce leaves for wrapping
- Cook bacon until crispy, let bacon drain, but reserve bacon grease.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix ground beef, yellow mustard, coconut aminos, salt, pepper, and garlic powder well with your hands. Make 4 burgers, place on a plate, and set aside.
- In a large non-stick pan, pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil and three tablespoons of the reserved bacon grease to medium high heat and cook mushroom slices until cooked through and seared. Set aside mushroom slices in a bowl.
- In the same pan on medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and cook the onion slices, until they sear and then start to soften. Season with salt and pepper. Turn heat down to medium low, cover pan, and cook 10-12 minutes until onions start to get brown and caramelized. Remove cover and turn off heat when onions are desired doneness.
- In a small mixing bowl fold the cherry tomato pieces, chopped basil leaves, remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat grill up to 500 degrees and grill burgers until desired doneness, about 2-3 minutes per side. Lay cheese slices atop each burger to melt for the final minute of cooking. If cooking stovetop, heat a flat bottomed nonstick sauté pan to medium high heat and cook burgers through, about 2-3 minutes per side for medium. Add cheese atop each burger to melt in the final minute of cooking.
- Plate burgers by laying down a butter lettuce leaf, the burger with cheese, lay two bacon slices, then onions, mushrooms, and tomato basil mixture. Garnish with pickle slices and top with final butter lettuce leaf. Repeat plating for remaining burgers and serve.
Leave a Reply